Monday, September 14, 2009

New Newbery


I just cracked open one of the newest Newbery books, Savvy by Ingrid Law. The cover art alone is enough to grab your attention and I love the size and rough cut edges of the pages. It's a beautiful book.

I'm enjoying Law's writing style as well. From the very first page, she draws readers in with phrases like "push-pulling waves" and "...moving had been hard, hard like the pavement the first time I fell off my pink two-wheeler and my palms burned like fire from all of the hurt just under the skin."

I'm only on page 83 and I'm thinking of a million ways this book could be used in writer's workshop and how the characters are so rich and unique...what a great character study they would make. And what about the careful word choice and assonance in this sentence (p. 13), "I had to poke and prod broody Samson up the long, soggy boggy road toward our mailbox..."

Anyway...it's a hit so far! Check out the official book website for some more fun and I'll be back to tell you more about the rest of the book soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment